I’m Hacking This Changing Table

Filed in Posts by on January 27, 2014 51 Comments

It’s 1:08 a.m. as I write this. And as hard as I tried to finish my DIY “hack” of this changing table this weekend, I just couldn’t finish it on time to have something awesome to show you on Monday. And instead of waiting for the “reveal,” which could be days from now, I’m going to show you some a little behind the scenes spoiler and teaser, all wrapped up in one :)

You may not remember this changing table:

BEFORE

Thrifted Changing Table

It cost me $12.00 from the thrift store, where I picked it up a couple years ago, back before the Minivan Fairy blessed me with a new wheels to haul all my junk treasures home from the thrift store and from the side of the road.

Yeah, I was that crazy driver with pieces of furniture hanging out the back of her 4-door sedan, with bungie cords. All for the sake of a good deal. SIGH….. I know I can’t be the only one that resorts to bungees in times of dire thrifting need, huh?

Hauling Changing Table

But this changing table has been sitting in what appears to be a totally useless, abandoned room for the past—oh….year?? I bet you didn’t know I have a room like this in my house (GASP!!). I’ll explain more later, but basically, my youngest  co-sleeps with us (he’s 2 now). And his “room” has become a collection of baby stuff we just don’t need/use anymore.

I haven’t started working on the kids’ rooms yet, thus the reason it sits like that. Totally uninspiring, but you know what?? I’m not a fancy blogger. Lots of spaces in my house look a hot mess while they’re “in progress.” And I’m not afraid to show you :)

Thrifted Changing Table

I tried to sell it on Craigslist, but the most anyone would offer me was $35. Yes…..a profit of $23, but for that price, I may has well save it and do something creative, right??

And that crib??

Yep, that’s useless, too. It’s a drop side crib, which is now illegal to sell. You can’t even donate them, because they’re banned because kids were getting stuck in them. Guess I’ll hack that, too. At the very least, use it for firewood ;).

Paint I’m Using for the Changing Table Hack

This is becoming one of my favorite colors: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Antibes Green. It’s really a stunning color and looks great with shades of blue and turquoise!

This was me on Friday night, spending long hours in my basement, eyes red, but energized! But it’s like that when you’re working on a project you’re so stoked about–you put sleep on the back burner because creativity is flowing through your veins and you can’t contain your eagerness. (Then you feel like a zombie in the morning, but I digress)…..

DSC_6021

I’m hoping by Tuesday or Wednesday I’ll have a finish project (and video!! I filmed the whole hack and will upload that to my YouTube channel, so make sure you’re subscribed).

So what do you think I’m hacking this changing table into?

SIGNATURE

Sites That Link to this Post

1. 10+ Projects to Inspire You | Thrift Diving Blog | January 31, 2014
  2. Turn a Changing Table Into a Desk | Thrift Diving Blog | February 2, 2014
  1. Heather says:

I think it would look awesome as a bar table, for glassware, bottles, etc. Whatever you make, I’m sure it’ll be gorgeous :)

2. Kendra says:

I agree with the above comment. A bar caddy or mobile serving table would be so cute. I can’t wait to see what it will become!
    Kendra recently posted…Zesty Southwest Caesar SaladMy Profile

3. Jodi says:

I love up cycling stuff, and antibus is a great color. I used it in my sons room

4. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!!

5. Sharon Martin says:

oooohhhhh, Can’t wait to see what you do with it. I was thinking bar cart also.

6. Crystal says:

Ohhh, I love this. I too have a changing table that will need to be “hacked” soon…. I’m sure no one will want to pay me much for it, so keeping it and turning it into something useful sounds good. I’ve thought of it being a drop it station inside my garage door where my purse, backpack, mail, etc could have a spot, or a toy or book shelf. Can’t wait to see what you do.

7. Tracey Bradshaw says:

Love Antibes Green – is it going into your craft room? Maybe for your Silhouette machine and supplies?
    Or to store board games or other toys for the boys?

PS – you’re rocking the straight/wavy hair :-D

8. Now that’s a good idea–using it for my Silhouette machine! I do need more space in my craft room. I was working in there recently and I need, like, 3 more desks connected in order to be able to spread all that stuff out! You’re slightly warm…… ;)
    Serena Appiah recently posted…I’m Hacking This Changing TableMy Profile

9. Kathy says:

I can’t wait to see it!! I LOVE your projects!! :)

• Awww….and I love having you here, Kathy :) You always make me smile when I see your comments! :) Stay tuned. I’ll be posting the “AFTER” probably on Wed (Thursday if I get delayed in finishing!) Thanks, girl!
      Serena Appiah recently posted…I’m Hacking This Changing TableMy Profile

• Kathy says:

Yay!! I can’t wait!! :) I have a bunch of projects in my garage I can’t wait to get at, but it’s below zero here, so working out there is not gonna happen!! And even though I would paint the furniture IN the house, I try to do the sanding and stuff outside. I am so ready for spring!! Anyway, thanks for inspiring me with your awesome projects!! :)

• I feel your pain! It’s been super cold here, too, and my garage project has come to a stand-still. Do you have a basement where you can work? That’s where I’ve been working. I even used my circular saw down there (saw dust EVERYWHERE, ugh), but there was no where else to do it, you know? Spring time– looking forward to it, also, although, that’s when the ants come. So, I am loving winter. LOL
          Serena Appiah recently posted…I’m Hacking This Changing TableMy Profile

• Kathy says:

No basement. Our house was a one room schoolhouse built in 1880, then added onto. We have a creepy, crawlspace. That’s it!! I just have to wait for warm weather. LOL

10. OK, first of all, girl you need to sleep! Secondly, I can’t wait to see how it turns out!
    ~Sonya
    Sonya ~At Home with The Barkers recently posted…Glazing MDF versus Real WoodMy Profile

11. Judy says:

I saw where someone converted old cribs into garden fences. The sides were the panels and the ends were the gates.It was really cute.

• That’s a really cute idea! I though about using the changing table as a shelf for growing veggies this summer! We have a lot of dear in our area, so having a fence made from a crib would be a great idea! Hubby mentioned just using the crib as it is now as a place to grow food. I think I might! Thanks so much for this suggestion! :)
      Serena Appiah recently posted…I’m Hacking This Changing TableMy Profile

• judy says:

You’re welcome the matress support would make a good trellis for beans or other vines. It could also be used with clothespins or clips to hang pictures.

Alternatively, the sides could be used as an overhead pot or herb drying rack, or baby/pet gates.

12. Mimi says:

At least you had an accord! I have a a civic

13. Shelva Shindle says:

Hi Serena, I have an old stero in my attic what would you suggest to recycle into.I know you cant see it but just asking love your Thrift Diving ideas

• Hey Jean! Hmmm…how big is the stereo? Is it one of those large cabinet ones? Send me a pic of it, or post it on Facebook. Usually I have to see something before I’m inspired. But if it’s one of those large ones, you could paint it and then use it for storage. Just take out the stereo stuff. Or use it for a TV stand! Or a buffet table in your dining room!
      Serena Appiah recently posted…I’m Hacking This Changing TableMy Profile

14. Teresa @tessiescreations.wordpress.com says:

Hey Serena
    Can’t wait to see your BIG reveal. I see many things this could be, maybe a plant stand on the top and plant supplies on the bottom.
    Teresa

15. Saboma says:

If you don’t turn that into a bookshelf then you’ve missed a fine opportunity if I eva hoid o’ one, Serena. ;)

16. Who’s that lady with the straight hair?! hehe.
    I’m afraid if I guess, I will be way far off. Some sort of storage rack?
    Anne @ Unique Gifter recently posted…For Men Only: What She Really Wants for Valentine’s DayMy Profile

17. JaneEllen says:

Love color you’re using, bright, cheery ,springy looking. You’d die if you saw prices here for things like your changing table. I found one very similar to yours at Habitat, they wanted $60 and $65 for a Jenny lind style. I wanted to use as a stand in our bathroom under window to put toiletries, towels, things like that on, we don’t have a linen closet either. Had a strand board stand hubs made when we first bought this place but it needed a new paint job and I just wanted something different, not going to pay $65 for something like that. It’s quite expensive here for everything, thrift stores are ridiculous. Sometimes I leave kinda ticked off when I see prices for things. Thrift stores make good living here and we have several. (Grand Junction, CO)
    I did end up buying a stand at Target on sale( $35) with 9 cubbies for things, not really what I wanted but had to figure out something. I used the old stand for my paint in craft room.
    Looking forward to seeing how your changing table looks and what you use it for when you’re done. Be glad you have a basement. We don’t have garage or basement, have to paint things in our small mud room.
    could use the old crib to make a bench and the mattress thing to hang up for memos. Happy week

18. Blondie says:

Awesome color; can’t wait for the reveal too.
    Blondie recently posted…Upcycled Chair Back to Jewelry Organizer/DisplayMy Profile

19. Lori says:

Hi Serena, I really enjoy your blog! You seem really down to earth and have great ideas! I have a “copycat” idea. I saw a blog where someone took a crib and turned it into a daybed so maybe you could do something like that so you don’t have to waste it. Hope that helps and can’t wait to read your great ideas! Keep thrifting!

• Awww..Lori, I’m so glad you enjoy my blog!! That means a lot to me. And makes the long nights sitting in front of the computer composing a blog post soooo worth it :) And wow, a day bed…never thought of that one! Perfect! Maybe I’ll have to make that crib into a daybed for my 2 year old, or a play sofa to lounge on! Love that!!
      Serena Appiah recently posted…I’m Hacking This Changing TableMy Profile

20. Can’t wait to see it finished! I love repurposing things!

Nancy
    Nancy @ Artsy Chicks Rule recently posted…Projects to Inspire! {10+}My Profile

21. I have no idea what you might be doing with this changing table. I am so curious and can’t wait for the reveal!!
    Paula@SweetPea recently posted…10+ Projects to InspireMy Profile

22. Karen says:

Can’t wait to see what you do. I love a good changing table hack!! I like your style of driving too :)
    Karen recently posted…Show me a Sign of your LoveMy Profile

23. I can’t wait to see what the project ends up to be. I had to laugh at the picture of your Accord with stuff sticking out of the trunk– I really need a new minivan (our son wrecked our Windstar..and we bought a Camry instead– dumb move, I know!) Now that we are outfitting our mobile home in Florida, I have been thrifting and buying things from Craigslist…the only thing we bought new was a king size bed…ahhh! Yes, we have driven home with lounge chairs strapped to the top of our car.
    Denise Gabbard recently posted…Major AWWW– Budweiser has Another Hit on Their Hands!My Profile

24. Winter says:

I love your creativity and can’t wait to see the finished product. My last changing table had drawers under it became a toy chest for awhile.
    Winter recently posted…02/14/14 Super Jeweler Can Help You Give A Heart Felt Valentine’s GiftMy Profile